On Sonntag, 23. März 2014 16:31:42 CEST, mk-li...@email.de wrote:

kwriteconfig --group General --key BrowserApplication '!safari’
If I specify the full path to Safari and start kioclient it will SPAWN AN ENDLESS AMOUNT of Safaris (at a rate of ~2/s)

Interesting. I got a similar bug[1] report because of spawning dolphins in a
different context (but it doesn't happen here in either case)

The major difference i could tell is that the config entry is marked expandable
when written by the component chooser - unfortunately there seems no way to do
this with kwriteconfig.
If KDE on MacOS also uses ~/.kde/share/config for configuration (or any other ini style config you
can locate - "kde4-config --path config"), you could try to edit
"~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals" directly. Locate the [General] group, find the
BrowserApplication key and make it

BrowserApplication[$e]=!safari

Another idea would be that OSX doesn't like the "!" prefix (no idea why
componentchooser writes it - here. Works fine w/o as well)

Because of the linked bug, i'd be pretty interested in *why*
safari/konqueror/whatever spawns endlessy.

Hmmmm… Didn’t look into that now, but one could simply use the kwriteconfig line of yours once after kdelibs installation.
You'd have to write it globally in order to affect every user (and not just
root)

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/be-shell/tickets/21/