On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 07:50:22PM +0100, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> On 11 February 2017 at 13:44, Jonathan Riddell <j...@jriddell.org> wrote:
> > I recommend KFloppy be removed from Applications releases.  It
> > couldn't find my floppy drive and when I hacked the code to tell it
> > where to look it depended on an external tool fdformat which didn't
> > work anyway.
>
> KFloppy and fdformat work fine here in openSUSE, I do use it regularly (with
> an internal floppy drive).

I'm in the disk user group.  I'm using KDE neon which is Ubuntu 16.04
as base.  The drive is external and attached by USB.

fdformat doesn't work from the command line

>fdformat --no-verify /dev/sdc
fdformat: could not determine current format type: Invalid argument

Then again neither does mkfs.vfat

>mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc
mkfs.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
mkfs.vfat: Device partition expected, not making filesystem on entire device
'/dev/sdc' (use -I to override)

When using kfloppy, even with /dev/sdc specified in the top text box, it says
mkdosfs exited with an error

Running this
>mkdosfs /dev/sdc -I
does correctly format the disk

It should be ported to Solid at the least, having hard coded /dev entries is a
bit last millenium.

Jonathan