On Friday, February 17, 2017 5:33:02 PM EST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 07:50:22PM +0100, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> > On 11 February 2017 at 13:44, Jonathan Riddell <j...@jriddell.org> wrote:
> > > I recommend KFloppy be removed from Applications releases.  It
> > > couldn't find my floppy drive and when I hacked the code to tell it
> > > where to look it depended on an external tool fdformat which didn't
> > > work anyway.
> >
> > KFloppy and fdformat work fine here in openSUSE, I do use it regularly
> > (with an internal floppy drive).
>
> I'm in the disk user group.  I'm using KDE neon which is Ubuntu 16.04
> as base.  The drive is external and attached by USB.
>
> fdformat doesn't work from the command line
>
> >fdformat --no-verify /dev/sdc
>
> fdformat: could not determine current format type: Invalid argument

This sounds like a compatibility issue between the USB drive and fdformat;
fdformat is going to be trying to determine the drive's low-level format, not
it its partition table or filesystem; Floppy drives traditionally are more like
a 3d printer or CNC machine than a block device; you have to tell the read/
write head physically where to go. USB drives may hide those controls. I could
store 1.9MB of data on a 1.44MB disk eons ago, through low-level formatting,
but I can't do that with USB floppy drives today.

The problem is, you have a USB device that's more like a flash drive than a
floppy drive, and KFloppy doesn't know which tools to access it with. Certainly
a bug, but it's not a "this doesn't work with floppy drives" issue, it's
(probably) a "fdformat doesn't handle the usb floppy interface" issue. Hang a
ribbon cable floppy drive from your local computer recycle center off the MFM
controller on a desktop's motherboard, and it will probably work just fine.