On Friday January 01 2016 17:47:17 Christoph Cullmann wrote:

Hi,

Apparently you already looked into this?

> I can tell you that this needs to be done at the application level, not at
> kpart level.

Can you explain why? Does that mean it won't be possible to encapsulate the
functionality in a framework?

> E.g. in Kate, you would need to handle QFileOpenEvent just like a dbus
> request to open
> a new file (atm I guess only the variant that has some url is feasible, the
> other variant
> won't work with the current interfaces to the editor part we have).

The QString QFE::file() variant, or the one that returns an opened QFile? I'm
not sure that one would even be relevant (or even in what circumstances it has
to be used).

> Same for e.g. KWrite, just open a new windows with the file, like file open.

If memory serves me well, the old MacOS used to handle file open requests like
that: it would more or less send the same even to the application that would be
sent when using the File/Open menu, and somehow shortcut the file selection
dialog.
At least, that's what the guy I shared my office with claimed, but he was
usually right about this kind of thing :)

R.