At U-M we are trying to get away from prompting users for passwords for
access to secured web pages.  Most of our services use kerberos (or
kerberos passwords anyway...)  We have developed a Kerberized
Certificate Authority which uses Kerberos for authentication and then
issues the client a short-term X.509 certificate that is used for web
authentication.  So this is really a PKi (small "i") solution that uses
Kerberos as the initial authentication mechanism eliminating the need
for web servers to prompt for passwords.

See http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/kerb_pki for a description and a
snapshot of the code (still in progress).

K.C.