I agree but, it would be nice to have the console messages to see panic.  It
does sound like somewhere in the initrd phase of booting.

Cheers,

From: arshad hussain
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org
Subject: Re: question about kernel panic

On 3/6/08, vichy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Dear all:
  I download Linux 2.6.20.10 and make the kernel by selecting EVERY ide device
  driver
  But I reboot it with a kernel panic like below:
  "Not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)"
  Could someone tell me where I go wrong?
  Sincerely Yours,
  vichy

IDE device driver is OK. But you also need FS (ext2/3, xfs ...)
build into you kernel.  Post you .config file if you think its
more comlicated than this.

Thanks.