http://www.standardics.philips.com/support/documents/logic/pdf/an248.pdf

>  - Werner
>
>  --

Werner,

I agree with what you write about the footprints.

I normally avoid any tweaking of footprints unless I'm lacking the exact
variant I require. During my 25 years in microelectronics I have always tried
to explain to engineers about components and their datasheets when they
attempt to create variants of - for example, footprints.

// The microelectronics industry have been spending a fortune in creating
packages and the footprints for both commercial, domestic and high rel use.
It have to be  areal genius to come up with any improvements on these
thoroughly tested and specified footprints. As up today, I have not meet this
genius... //

To bring KiCad forward I think it's useful to sit down and really make up a
couple of sets of footprints , a variant for each soldering methodology if
special requirements are needed for max reliability.

As KiCad is a GPL package, I think it's important to give the homebrewers a
decent possibility to use cheaper soldering tools than the reflow systems
widely used for commercial purposes. With a "pure" high priced commercial
package I don't think it's necessary but both KiCad and LINUX GEDA
are widely used by hobbyists.  I don't like to name Eagle here because of the
limited hobby version of theirs plus a stupid price in the UK. This reason
alone might call for a set of "tweaked" footprints...

Without wanting to go further downwards the path to the bellybutton studies, I
still think it's due time to spend some philosofical moments on the package
issue...

Cheers

Dan

Please read the Kicad FAQ in the group files section before posting your question.
Please post your bug reports here. They will be picked up by the creator of Kicad.
Please contribute your symbols/modules to the library folder in the group files section.