I'm a fairly new user to KiCad also and I thinks its great but for me
too, the componant libraries have been a problem. Maybe its just my
luck but I'm having to make a lot of symbols and footprints from
scratch but then again I have not had luck finding them in Eagle
either. The downside of open source is there is no one to maintain
the integrety of the whole system, so is there is no person to
maintain a central componant library and test submissions for
accuracy. I've even run into some errors with the existing libs in
KiCad. One can dream however.

--- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Hristo Antonov