I forgot to mention another point that I had been thinking about.

I stopped using "generic" library parts about 14 years ago.  What I
mean is, I no longer select R as a part, then fill it in on the
schematic.  I create separate parts for each value, size, or whatever
parameter.  Then I select a part based on exactly what it will be,
such as my 12K_5%_0402 below.  Kicad makes this very easy since you
can edit the library in a text editor and just change the values.  I
built up all values of 5% 0402 resistors this way and then spend no
more time filling in values.  This also lets me have the library
contain the part numbers from 1 or more distributors so they get
output into the bill of materials without further typing.  In the case
of Kicad, this also means I don't have to associate a component to
module for these parts.

In any case, this was another possible reason why a common library
might not be acceptable since most users would not want to buy from
the same distributors.

Just my thoughts...
Doug

#
# 12K_5%_0402
#
DEF 12K_5%_0402 R 0 0 N N 1 F N
F0 "R" -100 10 60 V V C C
F1 "12K_5%_0402" 100 60 60 V V C C
F4 "541-12KJCT-ND" 50 -350 50 H I C C "DigiKey"
F5 "NA" 0 -450 50 H I C C "Mouser"
$FPLIST
 SM0402
$ENDFPLIST