--- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I'm not sure what you are asking about.  I have never seen oblong
> holes in a board.  Are you talking about a routed slot?  When you
> produce gerber files, how are the oblong holes defined?  Regular
holes
> are defined in a drill file typically in the Excellon format.  In
what
> output file are your oblong holes defined?

Hello,

Some components do have non-circular leads such as Power Relays, Fuse
Holders, Fuses etc. You can check the Gerber section in Kicad help,
there is topic about rectangular holes. Also you can check Pad
properties of any pad in kicad.

BTW, these holes are defined in drill file only. Here is what my drill
file & drill report file says,

xxxx-drl.rpt
-------------
T2  0.032"  0.81mm  (19 holes)
T3  0.035"  0.90mm  (426 holes)  (with 8 oblongs)
T4  0.039"  1.00mm  (14 holes)

xxxx.drl
-------
T3
X1.050Y-5.250G85X1.050Y-5.050
G05
X1.050Y-4.857G85X1.050Y-4.656
G05
X1.300Y-5.250G85X1.300Y-5.050
G05
X1.300Y-4.857G85X1.300Y-4.656
G05
X1.800Y-5.250G85X1.800Y-5.050
G05
X1.800Y-4.857G85X1.800Y-4.656
G05
X1.550Y-5.250G85X1.550Y-5.050
G05
X1.550Y-4.857G85X1.550Y-4.656
G05
T4

Well, I loaded the file in GerbView 6 & all I can see a single hole.
That was the reason I tried Postscript output.

My ancient BoardMaker for DOS also supports such rectangular holes as
standard pad type. But most modern layout softs doesnot allow this !?

I have circumvented this problem(Eagle) by placing overlapping holes
on a single pad thus creating rectangular hole. Since kicad does not
allow this & it does supports the non-circular holes I tried it.
I just wanted to cross-check the output!

regards,
sam_des