You hit the nail on the head

............'In the United States'...........

I have always used thousandth or thou, and I grew up in England. where the
dimension was probably first used.

However, it's kind of ironic, that in the US, the prefix 'mil' is used,
since the _preferred_ SI units are all magnitudes of three... and hence why
milli is used more often than deci or centi.

Chris

--
IBA #15631