Ooops, that should have read I have NO performance complaints on Windows 7 on
my laptop.

Since we're on the topic of running SVN builds of KiCAD, I have always wanted
to build KiCAD from the sources just to satisfy my own curiosity as well as try
hacking some things just for fun.  I've tried a couple of times to get
everything together to compile, but kept running into trouble.  Since I am not
as familiar with Linux as I am with Windows, I am open to it being all my fault
and just not understanding some of the requirements.

Is there an updated set of instructions for exactly how/where to obtain the 3rd
party items and what has to built and how?

Thanks,
Greg