--- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "MarkB" <mrb1...@...> wrote:

> Actually, maybe I see what I am doing wrong. I have created a number of
> symbols and have included information in the schematic symbol definition,
> things like vendor and vendor part number. This was all done in the symbol
> editor.
>
> When I put a component on the schematic and run the BOM generator, the extra
> information that I have included with the symbol does not appear on the BOM.
> However, it does appear if I add the information while in the schematic tool.
> Then it works great.
>
> It would seem that Kicad should use the information from the schematic symbol
> definition as its default. Am I thinking correctly?

yes, EEschema, library needs to move to a place part mindset.
The symbol becomes a part when a MFGR, MFGR part # is referenced
nailing down a footprint. The variables would be the distributor
and symbol.  As a H/W guy I tend to change the symbol to help
draw the schematic and also the uP SOCs are so big that the
designer my want many sections that spread across multiple pages.

As a default, he extra fields should be copied when the symbol
is placed. I will look into this when I get the chance (just
moved to Ubuntu 9.10 and my Kicad build is broke)

 Frank