DRC is not perfect, so you have to choose the most appropriate function
to assign to a pin.

With your 555, I would assign, pins 1 & 8 as power

7 open collector
3 outputs
2, 4, 5,& 6 as inputs

Of course you could use the 555 as a simple switcher and thus use it to
provide some power, in such cases you either respecify the pin or you
leave it as is and if needed add a power flag to the output connection
to keep the rest of the circuit happy.

You WILL get anomalies like this from time to time. Just wait until you
use microprocessors where the pins can be inpiut output, bidir, timers
or whatever o a programmable basis! You usually end up creating a
specific part for a project.

Diodes are usually defined as passive

Likewise a battery is usually defined as a passive You might think that
defining it as a power out is more logical, and you could do so.
However you may be dealing with a rechargeable battery, so you would
want to connect power INTO it for charging. If the Battery was defined
as a power out then DRC would get upset again.

What is causing some confusion is that you know what a device does, and
are thinking of it in those terms. What you have to remember is that DRC
is not very clever, (it does not need to be) all it needs is just enough
to detect something silly, like you connecting two output pins together.
or not connecting a power pin up.

Something like a transistor would have the base as an input, but
collector and emitter as passive simply because you can connect them up
in various configurations and it's a bit pointless trying to define
things any more than that.

I understand what you are saying regarding the component numbering, but
it looks as if that function is just not available, but it was thought
about in the past.

Most of the components you will use have already been defined, so if you
are makig up your own libs and modules, you can always have a look at
what similar parts have done. (That's what I usually do)

It does get easier after you complete a few projects. Like most things
there is a learning curve to work through, but I must admit that kicad
was easier than some packages I've come across. It's also a lot more
accessible, as all the files are simple text based, so it's possible to
fix a lot of things externally when they don't quite meet your needs.
You will see quite a few references to varioyus scripts that users have
produced to cater for various requirements.

Andy