On 22/11/13 18:17, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Allan <agande...@gmail.com
<mailto:agande...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 12/11/13 03:49, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:

        Hello,

        because I am trying a lot to import data from a CSV file, I have
        realized that i'd be nice to have the possibility to map additional
        columns from the CSV file into additional fields in KMM.  For
        example,
        the current import wizard doesnt allow importing transaction
        categories.

        The only fields as of now are Number, Date, Payee/Decription, Memo,
        Amount, Debit/Credit...

        Categories could follow a hierarchical scheme such as for
        example for a car:

        Car
        ---->Gas
        ---->Maintenance
        ---->Driver's license

        Importing a transaction with the field "Car/Maintenance"  would
        import
        the transaction and assign it under the

        Car
        ----> Maintenance

        category..

    I thought I'd replied to this request but it seems I didn't, so
    apologies for that.

    Do you see this as an on-going requirement, or just an initial
    setting up need?  Where would the input file originate?  The reason
    I ask is that initially I wrote the plugin to import from banks,
    which would have no knowledge of KMM categories, so didn't foresee
    such a need.

    If you still see such a requirement, it would be as well to create a
    wish-list item on https://bugs.kde.org <https://bugs.kde.org/>, so
    that it's not forgotten. At the foot of the bug report, change the
    severity to Wishlist.

    Allan

Allan, sorry for not repltying earlier.
If available, I'd use this feature often.  I normally enter the
transactions from our credit and debit cards as they occur,
independently from the bank statements, but as we got a huge backlog of
round 1000 transactions to sync in the KMM database, I opted to import a
CSV containing all 1000 transactions.  The problem with this approach is
that unless you assign a default category to the payee in KMM, the
transactions will not get assigned to a category which will require you
to manually edit and assign a category to each of the 1000 transactions...
Again, provided the feature is in KMM,

....  I'd rather open it with a
spreadsheet editor, add another column in the CSV file, add the
categories, then save it as CSV and import in KMM.  Sometimes, (more
often than you may think) a payee will have more than one category
assigned to it... A good example are those truck stops where you can
fill up your gas tank and eat.

I've been looking at this, and it should be possible, with a couple of caveats.

The point about multiple categories could be a problem. For instance, how would they appear on a spread sheet? If they were extra columns for the one transaction, how can they be captured in a way that KMM will understand.

Secondly, the question of transfers I've not looked into.

Allan

The possibility of having a Category field in the CSV BEFORE importing
in KMM would allow me to manually assign a category to a payee..