Hi all,

On Sonntag, 21. Juli 2024 02:38:55 CEST Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> JV,
>
> Where did you notice that initialization.  We need to see the full
> console output, or at least a dozen or so lines before the crash.  I
> feel like we don't have all the relevant information.  KMM loads all
> available plugins at startup, it doesn't wait until it needs to use
> them. Seeing where in the process of startup it crashes might help us
> figure out exactly what is failing.
>
> Separately, have you tried compiling 5.1.3 or git head 5.1 branch?  That
> might tell us if it is something specific to master or if it's something
> with your configuration.

I spent some time last night in a screen share session with JV. Some of the
time was spent on setting up the session. Once I could work on his box, we
started the analysis of what's going on.

I was wondering, why the kmm libraries show up in /lib64 when I expect them
at /usr/lib64 (where I also found them). Turns out, that on Fedora /lib64 is
a symlink to /usr/lib64. Ok, so not the cause of the problem.

I then added some debug code to the reportsview ctor where the crash happens.
We were wondering, because we did not see any debug output. Turns out, that
the missing debug output was caused by a missing configuration in
~/.config/QtProject/qtlogging.ini. Once we turned that on, we saw all the
messages we are used to.

But where's the one I added just infront of the crash location? We saw the
crash happening but no debug output. That is strange. We found out, that
all plugins were build a few moments ago, except the reports plugin which
carried a date of about 4 weeks ago. Strange, but it would explain what is
going on. We manually removed the plugins libraries et voilĂ : KMyMoney was
running again without crash.

Looking closely at the cmake output, JV spotted that the reports view was
listed among the things that are disabled. Well, that would explain, why it
never replaced the old version. But why did it not get built? Further
investigation showed, that the KChart module (which is a pre-requisite for
the reports plugin) was not found during cmake time. Long story short: the
dev package of it was missing while the library was installed.

How did all this happen: JV build on a prior Fedora version (KChart dev
package was found and the reports plugin was built. Then he upgraded to
Fedora and that apparently removed the KChart dev package. and replaced
it with KChart6 dev package, but that does not help here and started the
trouble. Then running cmake again, the reports plugin was not built and
installing KMyMoney kept the old version.

Installing the KChart dev package for KF5, rerunning cmake, compiling and
installing brought back the full functionality and JV is a happy camper.

Thomas

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress,
you are still way ahead of everyone who is not trying. -- unknown