At 08:00 AM 9/4/2012 -0500, Randall Rowe wrote:
Why would this require a server reboot?

Reboot or logout/login (I just played it safe...)

Also .bashrc env vars dono't affect cron. If you want to insure that cron env variables are set properly edit that users crontab.

Very specifically Koha 3.8.4 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit (I am NOT necessarily generalizing [1]); the env vars required for user=koha to run a koha-owned cron do not survive reboot. A "proper edit" of crontab gives (see Wiki, install, etc):

KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
KOHAPATH=/usr/share/koha
PERL5LIB=$KOHAPATH/lib
*/1 * * * * koha $KOHAPATH/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b -z &> /dev/null

After a reboot (that does happen in real life, particularly on my sandbox where I established this "proof of concept") the env vars do not survive:

koha@server:/$ printenv|grep koha
USER=koha
MAIL=/var/mail/koha
HOME=/home/koha
LOGNAME=koha

and the cron rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b -z fails [Can't locate C4/Context.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl line 6. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl line 6.]

So, add the env vars to koha's .bashrc so that it reads:

$ cat /home/koha/.bashrc
export PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib
export KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml

and after reboot:

koha@server:/$ printenv | grep koha
PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib
USER=koha
MAIL=/var/mail/koha
KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
HOME=/home/koha
LOGNAME=koha

and the cron rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b -z is fully functional.

Verify: all permutations of rem'ing {first 3 lines of cron job} and {2 lines of koha/.bashrc} confirms the above. CONCLUSION: to renew PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib and KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml after reboot, the 'export' must be in /home/koha/.bashrc

Now, leave the two 'export' lines in /home/koha/.bashrc and modify the cron to:

paul@server:/etc/cron.d$ cat koha
# KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
# KOHAPATH=/usr/share/koha
# PERL5LIB=$KOHAPATH/lib
*/1 * * * * koha $KOHAPATH/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b -z &> /dev/null

Works perfectly ....  QED

*nix != windoze

Not sure it's relevant here, but I've been preaching that to the choir for twenty + years (first appearance of Windows 2|3; I thought the first DOS GUI looked promising ;=} .) I originally started on ALGOL and Fortran (smattering of COBOL) in the late 50s, until Unix was recompiled in c in the early 70s. I never got the opportunity of using the original assembly language version ...

server reboot not usually necessary. When changing .bashrc files all that is required is to logout and log back in.

Agreed, see above.

[1] -- BTW, our production server runs Koha 3.6.1 on Ubuntu (10.04 LTS part updated to 11.10) and uses the same construct.

Best - Paul

Randy Rowe
Lincoln City Libraries I.T.