On Tuesday 11 August 2009 19:47:52 Detlev Casanova wrote:
> On Monday 10 August 2009 13:52:00 Will Stephenson wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 August 2009 21:44:10 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > > After research a bit almost all sound capture architectures I'm sure
> > > which way we should take, the way of phonon!
> > >
> > > Phonon is designed and ready (I guess) to support capture, or at least
> > > this is what you can feel after read this:
> > > http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/phonon- overview.html
> > >
> > > So, this is what I'm going to try to do, continue the work that taupter
> > > started months ago.
> > >
> > > I've studied how libav/v4l2 works, and I've some new code running etc,
> > > so I'm not starting from 0.
> >
> > Excellent news and a very brave move.  Are you in contact with the Phonon
> > developers?
> >
> > Keep us posted on your progress!
>
> From what I know, Phonon is in this current status :
> The experimental branch API (the KDE Phonon) is capture-ready but needs
>  lots of efforts especially in the different plugins. (I got that from
>  Mathias Kretz, Phonon maintainer,
>  http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/phonon-backends/2009- March/000270.html )
>
> At Qt Software, they are trying to make Phonon become an abstraction of a
> device (I'm speaking about sound only here) and maybe not use the plugins
>  for some tasks, it's not at all clear yet actually. That's for Qt 4.6 and
>  I don't see at what point it is a good idea. (I got that from Justin
>  McPherson on that thread :
>  http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-multimedia&m=124323207701000&w=2 )
>
> Of course, that information is more than one month old so it may not be up
>  to date at all :-). I haven't seen anything from Mathias Kretz in a long
>  time now, I don't know if he's still working on the project.
>
> BTW, what in the Phonon overview makes you feel that phonon is ready to
> support capture ?
>
> Detlev.

Thanks for the links and sorry for the delay, I have been a bit busy these
days :(
I felt that phonon is ready to have input because phonon is actually pretty
well abstracted, and is an impressive frontend for the backends, allowing you
to do whatever you want inside your backend.

More or less the steps to implement the input in phonon are:
-Complete the experimental API.
-Implement that api in the frontends

The first step is not really a big deal, I'll need help to decide a good api,
but after all is write an interface api.
Then, we've to "fill" that api in each backend, and here is where the hard work
reside... I'll start with the gstreamer backend, since this is the only
official
linux backend that already have support for input (at least for video because
cheese is using it). So mainly what I'm going to do in the next few days is
learn gstreamer and how the gstreamer backend work in phonon.

Btw, in some days I'll send an email to the phonon mailist to get some
feedback, maybe I'm totally wrong or somebody else is working on that :p

--
Alex Fiestas