Maybe I have not explained well, let me clarify some of your points.

On Monday 10 August 2009 12:12:15 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You do realize you are going to duplicate code that already exists in
> libvidcap, mediastreamer2, GStreamer, etc, don't you?
>
> In addition to that, what you will produce using v4l/v4l2 is
> orthogonal to any backend, i. e. it will work with any Phonon backend
> on Linux but it won't for any Phonon backend on FreeBSD.
I'm going to use kopete-avdevice if I need a library to get data from webcam
devices because I already know how it works, and as you can understand I don't
want to spend my time learning how gstreamer/vlc/others can give me that data.

Then, I said that I know how v4l2/libav work because this knowledge will be
helpful for the beginning of this project, but I didn't want to say that
the project will be based on them.

> While I'm happy to see some development in videocapturing (I'm very
> interested in that myself but too busy to work on it), IMHO you should
> try to use the capabilities the backends provide, if any, because they
> already deal with cross-platform issues.
>
> IMHO if, after studying what the backends provide for videocapturing,
> you find they are not useful (which I doubt, because GStreamer, VLC
> and DirectX are able to capture video), then you should try the
> "direct" approach, bypassing backends.
>
> Otherwise, you are starting something like Phonon but only for
> videocapture, with its own set of videocapture backends.
I'm not starting anything because even I don't know how I'll do it. I'm only
in the step 0, studying how the current code works, studying how the backends
are implemented etc. Then I'll propose something to the phonon
developers and debate with they what is the best approach to implement capture
in phonon.

So, don't worry because I'm going to follow the philosophy of Phonon, this is
why I'm going to try to implement this inside Phonon and not create another
library.

--
Alex Fiestas