On 12/12/06, Lan Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I was tempted to make the subject line "HA HA HA HA HA ..."

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2006/tc20061207_164472.htm?campaign_id=bier_tcc.g3a.rss1211a

After 10 months of working with software developers in Bangalore, India,
Bill Wood was ready to call it quits. The local engineers would start a
project, get a few months' experience, and then bolt for greener pastures,
says the U.S.-based executive. Attrition rose to such a high level that
year that Wood's company had to replace its entire staff, some positions
more than once. "It did not work well at all," recalls Wood,
vice-president of engineering at Ping Identity, a maker of Internet
security software for corporations. Frustrated, Wood began searching for a
partner outside India. He scoured 15 companies in 8 different countries,
including Russia, Mexico, Argentina, and Vietnam.

That path is being trod by a lot of executives, eager for new sources of
low-cost, high-tech talent outside India. Many are fed up with the
outsourcing hub of Bangalore, where salaries for info tech staff are
growing at 12% to 14% a year, turnover is increasing, and an influx of
workers is straining city resources."

=====

The story goes on in excruciating detail and without apparent irony on how
expensive and problematic it's become for the poor corporate types to
wring a little more profit margin out of the third world at the expense of
their home country's economy. It's <sob> heartbreaking!

I especially love that they're thinking of moving development of their
security software to Russia. And Marketing, I'm guessing, will go to
Nigeria?

--
Lan Barnes

I have a piece on this which I will try to find, called, The Conscience of a
Corporate Mercenary, which tells the goals and ambitions from the point of
view of an ambitious employee in harsh cynical language. Most CEOs and HR
people looking to outsource to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the like
would do very well to read it. I contains such thoughts as "I am looking to
score and move on to the next project," and "I have my own health care and
retirement plans, and they don't include working for you for the next 20-30
years," or my favorite "I am not a company man. I am only interested in the
'company vision' to extend it results in my getting paid more."

Failure to recognize that folks who live in impoverished circumstances who
have lucrative skills will not stick around for lousy pay once they have the
necesarry skills and minimal experience will, I am sure, eventually cause
most of the US corporations addicted to this kind of outsourcing to rethink
this strategy. Whether the lower echelons of US workforce will be able to
survive the process is another question.

Robert Donovan

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org