** Reply to message from George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Tue, 27 May
2008 17:13:09 -0700

> Thanks for finding the kits from
> http://www.publicsoftwarefoundation.org. That sounds like a good
> starting point. It will work better if we can make the librarians have
> at least a vague idea of what we are providing. I'm trying to think of a
> good/easy/efficient way to do get the information across.

there's a number of things the Linu distro's can be used for besided
replacing Windows. For instance, access to the internet when Windows
does not work and this means webmail and web browser to lookup
customer support numbers(s).

There's also possible targetted application help like instant messaging,
browser, even basic Gimp or digital video editing via Kino and dvdgrab.

Alot of ways to go as far as 'backing up' the library project.

> Another related idea I came up with was a disk we with a collection for
> free software like Open Office / Firefox / an IRC client and so for
> Windows. The barrier for a typical user to install that stuff would be a
> lot lower than for installing a Linux distro.

Are you talking about something like the old The Open CD?   The Open
Disc( www.theopendisc.org ) has picked up that ball if it is what you were
thinking about.  If so, there's alot on there and possibly too much for the
Public Software Foundation to back right off the bat.

Doug

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org