On Wed, September 3, 2008 3:53 pm, MattyJ wrote:
> <quote who="Gabriel Sechan">
>> Its a spam prevention attempt.  The idea is it sends you a link you need
>> to go to in order to confirm you aren't a bot.  Which won't stop bots on
>> real email addresses, but would stop one forging their from header.  It
>> looks like it automatically whitelists you if you click the link.  Not
>> the
>> stupidest anti-spam I've seen, since most do fake the from.  Won't stop
>> many scams though, and it would be hell on mailing lists and opt-ins.
>
> I think what it will mostly do is annoy and irritate people trying to send
> the legitimate mail.
>
> If I ever got one of these messages from my friends or family memebers I'd
> delete them out of my addressbook.
>
> It's not *my* responsibility to maintain *their* spam filter. It's
> offloading work to the wrong people (the wrong people being me and,
> obviously, Lan. :)  )
>

> -Matt

I was just confused. I wondered if it was somehow like those web popups
that say "We've detected a virus!! click here to buy something to get rid
of it."

Or if it was a response from someone on the list who had a clueless
thingie installed.

Apparently the latter.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org