SJS wrote:

When I posted a message to the mailing list, I got an unsolicited
request to "click on a link".  So far as I'm concerned, that counts
as spam (even though it fails the technical requirement), so I'm not
about to spin up a browser just so I can follow a link.

A mailing list should never have such a thing.

I see a different mentality -- "You should be obligated to do my work
for me so I don't have to bother."

Which to me is part of taking responsibility (or rather, not taking it).

Then you have the attitude of a spammer. After all, you're trying to
save yourself some effort on your part by offloading effort to someone
else.

I put forth more effort than most people I know. I report serious offenders and have in the past had accounts disabled (I'm sure some of the account owners just got more accounts at other ISPs, etc., but at least I made an effort to do something beyond bitching about spam.)

I use my own mail servers. I use SPF, check HELO, disallow pipelining, use greylists, check RBLs, block IP addresses and blocks of addresses, and occasionally report spammers. On occasion I'll even make an effort to track them down as best I can (only the repeat offenders that make a significant impact on me and/or my system(s)). So, yes, I am offloading some work to someone else on occasion. Why should I do all the work all the time? As I said before, we should all do something (and this doesn't just apply to spam).

That's the problem with the "what's so damned hard" arguments --
especially when it comes to spam. What's so damned hard about clicking
on "delete" when you're not interested in what's being sold?

I usually click "Junk", and hope the system learns a little something in the process. I also click delete. The other things allow my fingers to rest a little from clicking "Junk" and delete so often.

The answer is the same in both cases: you're using the computer to save
YOU effort at MY expense.

If setup properly, the sender would have no expense (given that I already have their e-mail address). They would be added to the white list before they sent me an e-mail. If they've never e-mailed me before, /then/ they'd have to confirm the e-mail. If they don't want to, then that's fine by me.

If there were a way that I could keep my posts to a mailing list from
going to someone who's going to send me an automated request, I'd do it.
Just because I'm a jerk that way.

That would be nice. I also hate auto responders on mailing lists (I hate them anyway, but more so when I see them on a mailing list.)

PGA
--
Paul G. Allen, BSIT/SE
Owner, Sr. Engineer