begin  quoting Andrew Lentvorski as of Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 03:34:05PM -0700:
> Paul G. Allen wrote:
>
> >Now herein lies a problem with Spam. Everyone thinks it's not their
> >responsibility, that it belongs to someone else. If you want to use
> >e-mail, then you, and me, and everyone else should do our part to keep
> >the pricks from taking advantage of it.
>
> We do.  None of *us* buy things from spam.  None of *us* allow people we
> know to market via spam.
>
> I had this discussion recently with a friend starting real estate.
> "Look, telemaketing, cold calls, contact lists, email lists are all
> *spam*.  Period.  It doesn't matter now nice you are or how quickly you
> sort the list.  I can't stop you from doing it right now, but if I ever
> *can*, you're going down.  Remember that."

Which brings up the issue: what *are* the appropriate ways to effectively
create interest in your service/product/whatnot, especially using the
shiny new technological tools we have these days.

Advertising on web-pages? Sure, it's allowed, but most of 'em I block,
and I'm happy to show others how to block 'em, so I couldn't really
offer that as a reasonable alternative.

A web-page referenced in McQuary-compliant .sig blocks.

Sponsorship of web-comics/artists/etc. and online events.

Flash-drive giveaways (got one of these at ComicCon, actually).

Instead of saying "Don't do X", could we say "Do do Y"?

> But, we're not the target market either.  We're just collateral damage.
>
> However, there's no way for *us* to reduce the effectiveness of spam.
> If there were, I would do it even if it were particularly annoying.

Oh, yes.

--
Especially if it were particularly annoying, better if it were obnoxious.
Stewart Stremler

--
KPLUG-List@kernel-panic.org