Jiro Yamamoto wrote:

>>  Is the 5% increase in aircraft weight that use of the corvair engine
>> cause the max gross, empty or what weight are you thinking of?  And of
>> that weight increase, is it all the weight of the engine or are there
>> other weight increases in other systems. <<

That weight comparison was purely based on the 60 pound difference in the
all-up weight difference between the Corvair engine (ready to fly except for
electrons in the wires and fuel in the lines) and the VW, also ready to fly.
60/1200=.05, or 5%, so yes, given either engine with Chris' hypothetical
gross weight.  I don't see much other differences in associated system
weight, although that was a good question.  Same fuel pumps, coils, etc,
although I didn't not count those two items, in particular.  I did count
ignition systems, as in Corvair distributor vs Compufire on my VW.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com