Ok so not to beat a dead horse here but the products that you purchase in
any Big Box are NOT Varnish but are Urethane / plastic finishes.      Ace
used to sell a true Oil based Varnish till last year and they have now
stopped.     Thanks to the EPA and other folks Varnish is rapidly
disappearing.     If you want a True Varnish you it is Interlux, Epifanes,
Formby etc.     The difference here is that Varnish is a combination of a
Natural Resin, drying agent, and solvent to maintain it in a liquid
state.    Once the drying agent and solvent have evaporated the Resin
imparts the finish.    PolyUrethanes are reaction polymers that are
composed of two or more isocyanate groups coupled with a reaction
agent......or something like that.      So in short Varnish is a natural
occurring resin, Poly Urethane is a plastic by product.

Now all that being said yes you can get a fine finish with a Poly and it
will work fine.  It will seal and finish wood or other materials, it is not
water proof or very resistant.    If you need UV and Water resistance use
Spar Poly.       But NO poly will match the finish and luster of Epifanes
or Interlux Schooner Spar.    Dont know why but it is the way things
are.    The poly when you look at it in Sunlight looks plastic where
Varnish seems to be part of the wood, not a covering to the wood.

My last Canoe I built was done with Minwax Spar Urethane, and I was ok with
the finish.     Since it went to my Daughter and her new Husband for a
wedding present I figured they would be ok with Poly.   The poly finish
seems to be easier for someone who is a novice with finishing.     My Boat
and the Canoe I will build this summer will have nothing but Epifanes even
if it is over $40 per 1000ml can with shipping....

Enough of my soap box.