When flying at high altitudes (as I almost always do) it becomes even
more important to have a Mode c transponder.  Once you have the
transponder your size is not that important.  Up at those altitudes and
speeds the big planes you worry about all have TCAS and are talking to
controllers and I suspect that they really don't do a lot of looking for
traffic out the window anyway so does not really matter how big a plane
you are flying.

I think you have a lot of guts flying at the lower altitudes.  When I am
over 10,000' I can almost always glide to an airport or choose between
several.  At 3,500' you are looking for the best looking road and hoping
there are not power lines you can't see.