Did the first flight on my KR-2 this morning after moving the engine
2-inches forward from the plans call-out.  (This was the fourth flight on
this aircraft.)  Weight and balance measurements showed my take-off cg with
me onboard and half fuel to be 12.6 inches from the stub wing datum.  Plans
allowable range is 8 to 16 inches.  Seemed to have an adverse aft cg
apparent at lift off.  Thought it may have been the pitch trim.  That was
working, but not enough to trim out the stick pressure tending to pitch up.
Flew around the airport at 3,000 feet for half an hour trying to explore the
stall and handling characteristics.  Stall was about 40 Kts indicated;
definitely had a pitch up problem at any speed.  So, did not do a full stall
break.
On landing wind was 4 Kts quartering from the left.  Had some turbulence at
touchdown with 50 Kts indicated airspeed.  Instead of the nose pitching down
with main gear touching as I had expected, the nose pitched up.  I ran out
of forward elevator authority as the tail skid touched down hard.  That put
the mains back on the asphalt hard.  Bounced airborne, then did an ugly
three point landing.  I managed to keep it on the ground, but ran off the
left side of the runway and stopped in the grass.  The engine had stopped
some time after the first touch down.  Amazing how suddenly quiet it gets
when nothing is moving.  The entire landing sequence from first touch to
full stop took less than 5 seconds, it seemed.  The prop blade sticking
straight up in front of me looked ok, so I restarted the engine and taxied
back to the hangar.  I am thankful for that 9-1/2 inch prop ground
clearance.

Only apparent damage was a scuffed tail skid.
Good news is the oil temperature never exceeded 162 degrees F.  The new
Revmaster oil cooler system worked ok.

Will definitely revisit the weight and balance, and get the main wheels to
the correct 20 inch location.  Next flight will be in dead-calm wind
conditions!

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA