As I learned it decades ago, with any fuel at all in the tank even if
there is a spark, the fuel to oxygen ratio is so high that it would not
ignite.   Automobiles have had electrical resistance type gauges in the
tank for a long time, and as Mark points out, have also had submerged
electrical pumps more recently.

George