Somehow my earlier post didn't. Resubmitting...

> On February 4, 2015 at 11:19 AM Jeff Scott via KRnet
<krnet at list.krnet.org> wrote:
... I suspect a lot of people on this list simply can't afford to get time
in a similar handling plane with a similar configuration, or access to a
similar plane simply may not be available.  So you may have to learn your
plane somewhat on the ground while you work up the courage to fly it.
That's not the best method, but sometimes may be the only method
available...

Jeff, You nailed this one on the head. Just try being 6'2", 200# and fitting
into someone else's KR to get some stick time. It doesn't happen. We've beat
the "what's similar" topic to death. There is nothing out there commonly
available that you can rent with an instructor comes even remotely close to
the stick sensitivity in a "plans-built" KR control system. At least that
what I have found out. From my own experience, trying to learn my airplane
and getting the courage up to fly did happen at the same time. I totally
agree with your description of "it may be the only method available." I
almost appealed to the list to see if I could get some stick time anywhere
in the US before my first flight.

My first landing ended up with a bent nose gear. My second takeoff had PIO
that was very uncomfortable. Luckily, so far since then my learning curve
has been successful. I expect we would have more successful (and less
pucker-inducing) first flights in KRs if we had a training and transition
method. It is available in RVs but they are cookie-cutter airplanes. This
could be a strike against our "none of our KRs come from the same mold."

I don't know how to solve the issue. Any ideas on improving our
first-flights?

John Bouyea/ N5391M/ OR81, just 25 nm away from KMMV...