Back in the day when I was flying club rentals, we had well used
C-140's. One day, on final at ~1800rpm, I pull the throttle and nothing,
still 1800, sawed the throttle back and forth some and it went to idle.
WTH! A check showed the throttle cable was loose in the clamp at the
carb. What surprised me was the cable. It was little more then a lawn
mower cable. Very primitive. A week later a new guy with his really nice
C-140 had a similar issue at about 2100. Nor realizing the problem, he
tried to go around and ended up hanging nose down in the tops of 50'
trees. No injuries  but the plane was a write off.
--
Wayne DeLisle Sr.