I believe Tony Bingelis would say to make sure the two control knobs are
different.  Different color is obvious, but also different sizes, and
perhaps different types of lock to prevent accidental activation of the
throttle when you intended to lean the mixture, for example.

I happen to have had this experience, on one of my first flights.  Both
throttle and mixture were the same size knobs, although one was red and the
other black.  I was climbing through crosswind and beginning to turn
downwind and pulled the throttle back to end the climb and reach a lower
downwind RPM.   But I wasn't looking at the knobs...just operating by
location, (without thinking) and pulled the "throttle" back quickly.  It was
actually the mixture knob, and the engine promptly quit.  Not a good thing
while in the pattern!  It took a few seconds to determine what happened and
it restarted instantly, but it could have been a lot worse!  For that
reason, I changed out the mixture to a much smaller vernier knob with a
completely different shape.  I never did that again, and set up N891JF in a
similar manner.

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
ML at N56ML.com
www.N56ML.com