I had a nice 63 mile cross country flight today after our hangar
breakfast to a 3000 foot grass strip for a local EAA chapter fall
picnic.  180 mph ground speed going out, 127 on the return.   Great
people and nice airplanes including a polished twin Beech and a
turbine ag tractor.  The local ag flier had laid 600 foot of asphalt
on the hangar end of the strip and I was hoping to find out just what
takeoff distance the KR could make.  On my side was a 10 mph head
wind and a -400 density altitude (cool fall temps).  Full power, tail
up, and it lifted off just as the wheels reached the end of the asphalt.

Back at my home airport I noticed when exiting the KR that my
tailwheel was completely flat.  Never a problem before today and I
have no idea of the cause.  Totally flat and I couldn't tell it on
taxi.  The tube looked scuffed but I relate that to the taxi in with
a flat.  I can only wonder if the cool temps lowered the pressure in
the tiny tire to the point that maybe it spun on the rim on touch
down.  Other than that, not a clue.  I had an extra tube and 30
minutes later I had the wheel remounted.  I still love the pneumatic
tail wheel over the old solid wheel.  It is great.

Larry Flesner