I highly recommend checking out the "stratux" open-source ADS-B -IN
project.  For about $110 overall (not counting batteries or power
supplies) you can have in-flight weather, gps location, true AHRS (if
your tablet software can use it,) and location of other ADS-B out and/or
transponder equipped planes (within FAA design limits.)

It is a LOT of fun!  Actually works, especially in-flight weather and
location of other aircraft.

I test it at home a lot...

David Merchant