If one is giving serious thought to always flying with a parachute, I would
recommend giving serious consideration to engineering in a BRS system from the
beginning. In a KR, I would think that would mean extending the engine mount
and cowl in order to accommodate the additional weight of the BRS system under
the turtle deck.
?
Look at the number of "saves" claimed by Cirrus.? A big part of buying a Cirrus
Aircraft is doing the Cirrus Pilot Training, which is quite heavy on training
for "when to pull the handle", 'cause "If you haven't planned for it, and
haven't trained for it, you won't do it."?
?
In the last 8 years, I have had 8 friends perish in aircraft crashes.? That is
a pretty significant number.? Of those, had the pilot been wearing a chute, one
of them likely would have been able to exit the aircraft and would have
survived.? Had their aircraft all been equipped with a BRS system and the pilot
willing to use it, it is likely that as many as 5 of my friends would still be
alive.? Three of them simply put themselves in such a bad position that they
had no chance.
?
When thinking about airbags, the Cirrus has multiple bags and inflators on the
shoulder harnesses to protect the chest, neck and head area of the
pilot/passenger.? I've never heard any studies of the impact results, but it is
an interesting concept and is something now available for Experimental
Aircraft.? Of course the downside is that these things are not inexpensive and
require periodic replacement.
?
-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM