?I built a removable split elevator with gap seals when I rebuilt the tail on
my KR in 2005.  There are some photos, although not very detailed at
<http://jeffsplanes.com/KR/tail.html> and
<http://jeffsplanes.com/KR/2013_Trim.html>.  The gap seals are a single
laminate of Carbon Fiber laid up on a waxed bench top, then squeegeed with peel
ply just as lean and thin as I could make them.  That made the CF roughly .010"
thick.  I laid it up along the trailing edge of the horizontal stab with a 2"
overlap onto the stab and 2" over the elevator both top and bottom.  The CF
strip was then feathered into the horizontal stab.  Small removable cutouts
were added along the lower gap seal to access the elevator mounting bolts.

The spars for the two elevator halves are clamped between 2 pieces of 4130
plate with 3 AN3 bolts through each spar half.  I don't know if an engineer
would approve this installation, but it has been flying on my KR for 600 hrs
now.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM
?