Firstly, I will try to respond to questions and comments about ethanol / my KR
build as soon as I can. The upcoming events and work load my company is seeing
may take up a large portion of my "free" time. Thank y'all for being patient.

Something I might need to add: I noticed someone mention corn and ethanol.
Which yes, it is a not so economical plant to obtain ethanol from. You can use
any vegetation that has sugar or starches in it. The most economical being
sugar cane. There is a commune in Brazil that runs a sugar cane/ ethanol plant.
They are able to use the biproducts of making sugar and ethanol to fertilize
their fields and fuel their boilers. which reduces production cost.

bjoenunley - The only issue we had with cold weather was on start up of a cold
engine. Once started we did not notice any unaccounted for difference
throughout density altitudes and air temperatures, that you wouldn't already be
accounting for with 100LL.

laser147 - Your cadillac was most likely tuned and built to run on 87 octane
from the pump. Horrible mileage on ethanol is something that was expected when
the auto industry started building "flex fuel". If the engine is built and
tuned to run souly on ethanol fuels, they will run below performance on mogas.
(think of trying to put regular fuel from the pump in a tuned up race car
engine, it will run rough with low performance).

Bill Jacobs - Thank you, I know there are different opinions. It is nice to
discuss those opinions and difference in research and experience. Many of the
airshows we would fly to or in would be full of people bad mouthing ethanol and
how horrible it is. Yet, very few would actually talk with us and "debate" the
advantages and disadvantages of the fuel.

Robert - When we did our C172, we sloshed an etching solution in the tank and
then a sealing solution. I can not remember the exact solution we used, it did
take a couple days to complete though. We did regular fuel test to on all our
aircraft to check for alluminum in the fuel. We never had a positive result for
alluminum particles in the fuel.

As for preping the engines, if you don't increase the compression ratios then
you won't take full advantage of the increase power with ethanol. So, we
increased compression with different pistons, adjusted timing, bored out the
injection ports (Dr. Shauck's secret as to how much), and ensured everything
was compatible with ethanol.

As for GPH changes, if the engine was tuned for 100LL we saw on average a 150%
increase in fuel. Meaning that for every 1 gallon of 100LL we would burn 1.5
gal of ethanol. When we dyno tuned our IO-360 to ethanol, and ran 50 degrees
lean of peak EGT (temps would drop on the lean side before reaching max EGT) we
saw more of a 110% increase in fuel flow.

GRG - Although ethanol does hold water, it can not/ will not absorb enough from
the atmosphere to cause a problem with engine performance. This is based on our
research with statics tanks at full and half tank. The test ran for 6 months of
not touching the fuel tanks we had set out on the parking ramp next to our
hangar. We then had our universities labratory (Gold standard) check for water
content. We did however, intentionally add water to the fuel up to 25% water
75% E85. There was a noticeable increase in horsepower, accompanied by an
increase in EGT. With that we started reaching max EGT on the IO-360 at 15%
water, way more than static absorbtion.

When I left the research program back in 2008 we had run two engines to TBO
limits and had the wear measurements done as part of the research. There was
less wear on some of the components, and normal wear on others. We equated this
to the reduced vibration, temperatures, and extended oil life. We still
maintained the 50 and 100 hour service schedules produced by the engine and
aircraft manufacturers.

We never had an issue with carbuerator icing on any of our aircraft. It could
possibly be due to the alcohol having a much lower freezing point, and readily
absorbing any moisture in the air. I do not recall any research into carb icing
due to ethanol use, but it would be interesting to see the results of focused
study.

I do appreciate your input and experience with ethanol. Some of the
disadvantages can be overcome with engine modifications, or a more agressive
propeller to take advantage of the added torque and horsepower.