Turbochargers and/or Superchargers love the way the input temps drop on
ethanol. Granted the milage is only 1/4 mile at a time. Most dedicated drag
cars that run very high boost shy away from gasoline as you dont need to cool
inlet temps artificially with water injection in the air
Bill Jacobs

------ Original message------From: Mike Stirewalt via KRnet Date: Mon, Jun 6,
2016 2:55 PMTo: krnet at list.krnet.org;Cc: laser147 at juno.com;Subject:KR>
EthanolI had an old Cadillac with a computer display that would read out
myreal-time fuel consumption.  I imagine most cars have such things thesedays,
althoiugh the Oldsmobile that I replaced my beloved Cadillac withdoesn't.
Whenever I would drive cross country and got into the mid-westwhere ethanol is
sold, my fuel mileage would always go down.  I'm impressed by the statement
"The fastest cars in the country use it."so obviously I'm suffering form a
misconception.  I inherently dislikedit because it decreased my fuel mileage
and because government welfare toall the farmers who grow corn for ethanol
annoyes me too.  Plus, I'venever trusted it in my KR.  If I do ever use auto
fuel in the KR(GP-2180) I always use Chevron Supreme, which is what I always
use in myother vehicles.  Calling Chevron headquarters in San Francisco
severalyears ago, they told me Supreme has 7% ethanol in it.  It may be
morenow, or less, but thinking I could avoid ethanol by buying top
gradegasoline was not correct.  I think it's all got ethanol in it, except
forboutique racing shops that sell ethanol-free gas for racing.  Why
wouldracing shops sell ethanol-free gas for racing if "the fastest cars in
thecountry use it."  I'm not arguing here since I'm not very smart, but
justrelating my experiences.  Steve Bennett said he always ran my engine on
ethanol-free gas - which hecould get in Omaha.  Here in San Diego it's only
available fromspecialized racing shops.  From Steve's comments on operation of
myengine, I've tried to keep ethanol out of the tanks but I haveoccasionally
put some Chevron Supreme in.  It's always mixed withwhatever 100LL is already
in the tank.  In my aux tank in the wing, madefrom vinyl ester, I've been
religious about never putting anything but100LL in it.  I've heard too many
stories about car gas wreaking havoc totanks and fuel components for me to use
it more than very occasionally. Just my experience.  I'm still learning new
things . . .hope we all are.