Mark,
 You could use a self etching wash primer like the PPG DP 701, it's a two
equal part mix. By asking at the local jobber store (Auto Value here) you could
find who is using it locally and get a pint. I think the smallest they sell is
quart and you won't need a half gallon of the stuff.
 Swab the inside of the tube like you would a gun barrel, and spray the
outside with enough to wet it. Same as if using zinc cromate.
 I use it all the time at our shop for repair and rebuild work and it works
great.

Ed Larsen
Ypsi, MI

<< Mark Langford wrote:
 > Some of you guys might know the answer to this, and since it's been quiet
 > I'll throw this out.  My flap torque tube is a piece of .75" 4130 steel
 > tubing that extends from one end of the stub wing to the other, right
 > through the cockpit, where I have an RV flap motor attached to it by way of
 > a clamp-on bellcrank (see http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/03060120.jpg ).
 > I got smart a while back and painted it along with some other stuff, but
the
 > fit was so tight on the holes that there's no way it'll fit back in the
same
 > holes, and enlarging them would be very tough.  Is there some thin chemical
 > conversion coating that I can apply to the new bare one that bought that
 > will keep it from rusting, while not adding a bunch to the outside
diameter?
 > I even thought about waxing it, but if it doesn't work I'll have to take
the
 > wings off to try something else, which sounds painful.
 >
 > I suppose worst case is that I figure out a way to open up the holes, so
I'm