"You could also use thin wall pipe and leave it in as a wireway if you don't
mine the extra weight."

...If you do get a hole bored through and you want a light conduit for the
wiring, I have found that Wal-Mart sells a very light and thin-walled tube that
clips over your shower curtain rods to make the rod look nice.  I glued a
couple of those into the leading edge of my wings to run wiring through.  They
are very light and work nicely.  They are easily inserted into each other (to
get more length) as they are split down their length for installing over your
curtain rod.

Kerwyn Stoll