Ron Freiberger wrote:

> My problem... not enough garage room for the KRSport wing.

There's an interesting article in the December 2003 Kitplanes (page 15) that
discusses the Europa MOTORGLIDER.  The guy that built it lost his medical,
but discovered that all you need to fly a "motorglider" is a glider license!
No medical required.  It seems that we KR folks are sitting on the ultimate
no-medical fighting machine, the KR1B Motorglider.

The article didn't elaborate about what makes a plane a legal motorglider,
but this thing had a gross weight of 1450 pounds and had a 115 hp engine in
it.  The "Kit Aircraft Directory" in the same issue lists the cruise speed
as 174 mph, stall speed as 45 mph, 760 mile range, takeoff and landing in
600 feet, fuel capacity of 28 gallons, and two seats.  Get the picture guys?
The KR1 would certainly qualify.  I'd call the local FSDO just in case, but
it sounds like all you'd need is some longer wings and a glider license to
keep on flying, regardless of Sport Pilot.  My guess is that the definition
of motorglider is based on wing loading, but I could be wrong.

Does anybody actually OWN a set of KR1B Motorglider plans?  If so, are there
any structural differences to the spars?  My guess is probably not.  Anybody
know the price differential in plans or parts?  RR's website makes
practically no mention of the KR1B plans or parts.  Speaking of which, RR
sent me an update to the price list for all models, parts, and supplies,
which I've updated.  Details are at http://www.fly-kr.com/ .  New prices are
in effect, as of November 2003.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
N56ML "at"  hiwaay.net