From: KRnet
Date: 04/12/04 16:06:58
To: krnet
Subject: KR> 2 pitot questions

Hi again gang, I had the oppertunity yesterday to take a good look at a
Lancair360 and saw two things that interested me. On the landing gear
(retract) they do not make use of the conventional squat switch using a
microswitch mounted somewhere on the retract mechanism but use of a pressure
switch connected to the pitot line. this switch will not close the contact
untill it sees a pitot pressure that represents 70mph. My question is : What
pressure will 70mph create in the pitot line. I know it is actually the
differential pressure between the pitot and the static port. What would it
be in inches mercury/mm water.
My second observation was that the static port is located on the fuselage
side behind the pilot. Has anyone used this location for the static port? My
thoughts are that this would be a low pressure area???
Dene Collett
KR2S-RT builder
Port Elizabeth
South Africa