Ken, don't fly with the joint exposed, it will certainly create drag and
may damage the wing depending how well you sealed the ends. Some guys use
tape which looks kinda cheesy, I bought velcro on a roll and got white
vinyl at a building store, now I can peel off the gap seal ( which is
what it really is ) to inspect the attach fittings and bolts when I feel
Like it. I also did it like this because the 1st year I flew it I removed
the wings each time. The gap seal is thicker than using alum and screwing
it but It really makes a neat job.------------Good Luck!