Peter Bancks wrote:

> I have a feeling that on a 6 cylinder distributor and coil powered unit
the
> tach should be set to 6 pulses per revolution, the three pulses setting
> would be for a 6 cylinder coil pack setup where the plugs spark on the
> exhaust stroke as well a-la motorcycle CDI unit.

Typical four stroke engines (such as cars and Corvairs) spin twice for every
time they fire (one TDC is for compression stroke, the next one is for
exhaust stroke), so a Corvair six times per two revolutions, (averages
firing three times per revolution), so I have it set correctly for my engine
type.

I hooked up my Karmann Ghia's tach to it today and ascertained that both EIS
and Tiny Tach our way out in the weeds.   The Tiny Tach reads about 5000 rpm
at idle, about 7000 at 2000 rpm, and then it goes back down to 5000 at 3000
rpm!  The EIS is off by some wierd integer number, but it fluctates so much
it's hard to guess what it is.  The Ghia tach got me through the day of
testing though (yes, I know I have to multiply by .67), and I proved that
it's putting out good power and with a good mixture.  I also found out my
oil cooler leaks.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
see KR2S project at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford