Mike Warner wrote:

> My father had the same problem with the tiny tach on a motor home with a
> high energy ignition system. The problem was too much signal. He solved
> the problem by reducing the number of turns around the wire. I believe
> he was down to one loose turn to get the proper reading.

I tried all kinds of combinations of wraps (it would still pick up a signal
4" away from the wire), and even put a resistive filter network on it
(recommended by Tiny Tach), and then went the extra mile with a
potentiometer and dialed it all over the place trying to get it to work.  I
eventually had it to the point that it would either read twice the speed it
should, or "quit" (got back to displaying hours). The Tiny Tach guy was
supposed to send me a new one last week, but I'm still waiting on it.  I did
get the EIS to read right (by setting the "tachP/R" to 6), so I have one
good tach already.  Right now I'm waiting on my Ellison carb to do some more
runs.  I expect I'll get more power out of it.

The only thing between me and a BFR is a 100 hour inspection on the 172, and
twenty minutes of night flight time...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
N56ML at hiwaay.net
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford