Hey all..

I'm new to the list, though I've been building for about a year.  You may have
stopped by my site already, and I've pestered quite a few of you on occasion,
so some know who I am :-)

I had some thoughts on the G-limit questions, and it sounds like the discussion
is heading more towards wing theory pretty soon.

Constant span-wise lift distribution is not a very efficient design (though it
is cheap and easy; maybe more like cheap because it's easy... i dunno).  Wing
structure has to be made stronger all the way out, because as you guys pointed
out in other emails, the wing spar is you basic cantilevered beam problem.
(Yes, not exactly that simple, but for the purpose of discussion we'll treat it
as such)

Supposedly, an elliptical distribution is the most efficient insofar as
strength-to-weight goes.  Tapered wings closely approximate this distribution,
especially when washout (geometrical twist of the wing) is considered.  If you
look at the stock spars in a KR1, 2 or any tapered wing aircraft design, you'll
note that they look pretty wimpy on the ends.
Elliptical wings such as those on the P-47 Thunderbolt and the Spitfires of
WWII era were pretty damned good too :-)  Elliptical planform wings however are
expensive and difficult to make (production-line wise) which is I think one
reason we don't see them much on GA aircraft.

Aerodynamically speaking, you get better roll-rates with most of your lift
being generated near the root, but generally less stability (hand in hand kinda
thing, but remember, the weight is distributed is the same way, but opposite
sense that the lift is distributed, in effect changing your moments of
inertia).  It's tough to compare apples to apples with wings because so many
variables go into making one.  You can't just say take this with this and you
get that.  Any variable has a portion to do with another variable... Sounds
like dependency problem to me... :-)  That's what it's an optimization PROCESS
instead of a recipe.  I could go on and on about the different stuff, but there
are many books by many great minds.  Daniel P. Raymer comes to mind...

Anyways back to the question at hand.  G-Limits....

I have of course changed my spars, spans and wing attach locations slightly,
along with making the spars deeper to accommodate a different airfoil, but I
ran some FEA's which agreed with the simple calcs I did by hand.  Loading for
my particular setup was +/- 10G's, and that was the WAF's breaking.  My through
bolts would break at 11G's (which means they're about the right size... ) and
the spars are going to pieces around there too...

Now, that's not to say I'm gonna go test it to that... Hah...  I'll make the
limit about 6+, 4- to give a safety factor that I'm comfortable with.  By the
way, the wing isn't the only thing catastrophic that can depart the aircraft
that you need to figure out the effects of G-forces on!

Sigh... Too long.. Sorry guys.

Matt Elder
melder "at" infinigral.com
http://kr1.infinigral.com