On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:53:11 EDT babyw...@aol.com writes:
> Went to the Santa Fe air show to get motivation for my KR2S Project.
Sat in
> front of one of the 2 seat Russian Aerobatic planes and watched the
pilot
> preflight.  His plane was beautiful and his prop was probably worth
more than my
> whole project. He was probably ten times the pilot I will ever be.
Watched him
> the whole time through binocs- He got into an accelerated stall and
bellied in
> to the dirt with a fire ball.  Pretty sobering thing to watch.  Pretty
> sobering to compare his beautiful plane with my boat with its mistakes
and some not
> perfect woodwork.  Will still continue  the KRbut I am going to buy the
best
> airplane engine I can get install a ballistic chute and get rid of
every piece
> of excess weight that can. It is pretty sobering to watch one go in
right in
> front of you.

I have lost many friends that were airshow pilots.  The lesson to learn
here has to do with the dangers of flying low level aerobatics rather
than construction of your aircraft.  Whatever your choice of engine, make
darned sure it's rock solid reliable before it flies.  The high altitude
mountainous terrain around Santa Fe is no place to test an engine.  As
for the BRS, that's a personal choice.  I consider it excess weight, but
others do not and I respect that decision to give oneself one last chance
when everything else goes wrong.

Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM (just across the canyon from Santa Fe)

Get your name as your email address.