If you read closely in most standard life insurance policies they will pay if
you are a paying passenger of an air carrier flight but not a private small
plane, regardless of position in the aircraft pilot or passenger.  Minnesota
Life sells a policy thru AOPA  that covers pilots while flying small planes for
competitive rates to standard companies.  Most of the reason they don't provide
coverage is that they have no information with which to estimate risk, so they
just add an exclusion to covering and leave it at that.  Check with AOPA, and I
bet also EAA has representatives that know of policy choices for coverage while
flying.  I am covered while I fly and teach, both AD&D and life insurance thru
AOPA.  It really pays to be a part of AOPA.  Alot of their stuff is for direct
support of general aviation pilots like us.

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com