Bob Glidden wrote:

> At the speeds you will be going by the
> time it happens and you think about jumping it will probly be to late
unless
> you are going to make yours a low and slow airplane.just a thought...

Absolutely.  And not only that, but structural failures are incredibly rare
in aircraft in general, KRs in particular.  Only in these rare cases will a
parachute help, and as Bob says, there's no guarantee then.  Far more likely
is fuel starvation, or an engine problem of some sort, like carb ice,
ignition, valve train, or crank problems.  In these cases, I'd try to put it
on the ground if at all possible.  I agree that if you're feeling that
unlucky, or live in an area with particularly unfriendly terrain, go for a
ballistic chute.  I think there's probably a good reason why you rarely see
a pilot get into a perfectly good airplane wearing a parachute...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net