John Martindale wrote:

> Does anyone out there have experience with these things?

I have one and I love it!  I was doing some engine testing yesterday and
marveled over how handy it was to know exactly what was going on with the
engine.  Now that my engine is running perfectly, the mixture gauge
immediately tells me why it running "rough" (that's slightly less than
perfectly smooth) by indicating either rich or lean.  It's a lot faster than
trying to decipher the EGT display, and the response is almost instant.  I
heard the sensor will last 100 hours, but David's experience calls that into
serious question. As has been mentioned, the type or brand makes a
difference, and I'll bet the location matters too.  Sounds like some
experimentation is in order!  It's a simple enough exercise to weld another
bung in place, so I may move mine around a little, once I do some internet
research and figure out where the best sensor location normally is.

There are several photos at
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/first_runs/  that show my meter, as
well as the O2 sensor (a $30 Bosch one-wire)  installed in the exhaust pipe.
I highly recommend one!  Steve Makish has one and he wouldn't part with it
either.

In other news,  my engine is running great now (put a "new" head on the
pilot's side), with EGTs all in the same neighborhood, and pulls 3000 rpm
with the repitched Sterba 54x66 (whatever that makes it now). It's probably
still a little too much pitch, but I can certainly fly with it and find out!
John will be interested to know that 3000 is exactly what it would pull with
the Weber, so the Weber is no worse than the high dollar Ellison.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net